Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome to the "past" or about how all things are relative

Yesterday night we celebrated Nowruz, the Persian New Year. Thanks to my Iranian flatmates, I enjoyed an authentic Persian experience, whose impact kept me going all day long, despite the short night. There were both Iranians and Europeans in the group (Italians, Romanians and Spanish people) and it was really funny to notice the wonder of the latter faced to the Persian New Year traditions. Some of the funniest aspects was celebrating the arrival of the New Year - 1390, by the way - at precisely 12.20 a.m. (the hour is calculated every year according to their sharp solar calendar), without popping a bottle of champagne  and with no fireworks (that should remind us that initially even our New Year meant more than this). The photo from above illustrates a small "shrine" composed by 7 objects whose names start with "s" and they all symbolize positive concepts such as "life", "health","prosperity" etc. Below there is a sample of the live music I personally enjoyed last night.

5 comments:

  1. That was very nice of you Raluca! I'm so happy that you enjoyed our Nowruz!
    This is a great photo though!
    It was a great, memorable, intresting, happy, wonderful... night for me with you and the other friends.
    Happy New Year!!! Best wishes for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!! they are my friends!!! I mean those persian nice , cute & full of life girls, who celebrate changing winter to spring,that means rebirth of the world, as we do it since thousands of years ago, they are my great friends, I miss them so much . . .
    Dear "Dina" & Dear "neshat"
    cute "homa" & other persian friends who always make us proud of being persian
    tnx to you dear Ralu
    Wish you a happy new persian year! with fresh & intresting moments like spring :P
    excuse me if I forget the fluent english!:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao!

    Che bello festeggiare il cambiamento dell' anno con gente di religione diversa.
    Non so come i musulmani festaggiano l' arrivo dell' anno nuovo ma ci devono essere qualche differenze se non tante.

    Bella esperienza. Grazie per averla condivisa con noi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! there's still a time machine... how's 1390 in your appartment?

    ReplyDelete